Thursday, May 14, 2015

Introduction

Hi everyone, and welcome to my travel blog for the summer of 2015!

In case any of you are not familiar with my summer plans, I will be going to Cape Town, South Africa for 3 months from mid-May to mid-August. I will be interning for an economic consulting firm called Urban-Econ. They specialize in urban development, and I will be a research assistant for them. I was able to get this internship with the help of Volunteer Adventure Corps (VAC). They are a Cape Town-based organization dedicated to helping students like me find internships and volunteer opportunities that suit our individual interests. As a statistics and economics major at the University of Michigan, I wanted to gain research experience this summer. This internship with Urban-Econ seems perfect for me, and I can't wait for it to start!

Another great thing about VAC is that they host many exciting activities. I hope to take advantage of their program so that I can learn how to how to scuba dive and how to speak one of the native languages of South Africa, Xhosa, during the time I am there. They also host free Friday "field trips," which I hope I will be able to participate in often! Some of the previous trips they have taken were to see the renowned Table Mountain, to a cheetah sanctuary, or even to one of the many South African vineyards! I will try to make it my goal to post once a week in order to keep you up to date on what I know will be one of the most memorable summers of my life.

I have never written a blog before and writing is not really my specialty, so I will take the time now to apologize for any imperfections in my writing! But I hope that I can write well enough so that I can share the wonderful things I get to experience this summer with all of you.

Thank for taking an interest in my summer plans. I'm so lucky to have all of your support! Feel free to comment on any/all of the posts - I would love to hear from you while I'm away!

Love,
Juyeon

1 comment: